- Beginners can already start speaking and understanding simple words and sentences after only 1 month.
- Learning the language helps in job hunting because many international companies are looking for people who speak more than one language.
- It’s super fun! Mandarin is an extremely interesting and complicated language that will never bore you.
- You can travel to China without worrying about not being able to communicate with the locals- just show them your phrasebook, ask “does anyone here speak English?” and someone always responds positively. People in China appreciate foreigners trying to learn some phrases in their native language- everyone loves a little bit of ‘putonghua’.
- Chinese characters may look difficult but definitely not as hard as they seem to be. All you have to do is spend a couple of minutes every day learning new words and making sentences with these words until it all starts to make sense, and you’ll be able to learn a thousand characters in no time. (After that, learning Chinese is just like any other language- it gets easier the more you know).
- Don’t be afraid to start writing your own sentences with the words you’ve already learned- 你 好 nǐ hǎo will only get you so far. The best way to learn any language is by speaking it and by speaking it out loud, so go ahead and give your new friends a taste of where you’re from!
- If someone mistakes your pronunciation or tells you they don’t understand what you’re saying, just smile and forge on through. Most people really understand and appreciate that foreigners can’t always speak the language with proper pronunciation. They generally like to see foreigners try!
- Many Chinese people are used to having English speakers learn at least some words in their language, so don’t be surprised if they teach you some words or phrases. This may be the best way for you to start learning- find out how much they know and ask if you can borrow what they know. Who knows how far it’ll get you?
- If all else fails, just smile and point! You’ll probably still get pretty far with that 你 好 nǐ hǎo! Don’t beat yourself up about not knowing the language- every good linguist was once a beginner (no like b- thank like an early learner). Languages are fun to learn and increase your personality.
Mandarin is one of the most spoken languages in the world and it’s important to be able to at least understand some simple phrases. Learning mandarin will help you not only communicate with more people but also make new friends from all over the globe. Contact us today for a free consultation or visit our website to access our best online mandarin tutor and get you started on your language journey!